Why would you want to rename an event in Google Analytics 4?
Have you started using the new Google Analytics 4 and maybe even created your first custom events? It is possible to create multiple custom events in GA4.
Renaming a Google Analytics 4 event can be useful for a number of reasons, including
- To provide a more descriptive or meaningful name for the event
- To comply with changes in naming conventions
- To make it easier to analyse data or spot trends
- To better organise events within the account
- Renaming the event can help improve the overall clarity and accuracy of the data collected in Google Analytics 4, making it easier to understand and derive insights from.
Have you ever renamed an event? If not, why not do it today?
If you’ve created a custom event and want to rename it because you’ve changed your mind or maybe there’s a typo, we’ll show you how to do it. We tried to find this information in the Google support documentation, but couldn’t find anything related to this issue.
How to rename the custom event in Google Analytics 4?
If you follow the steps below, you can rename your custom and existing events:
- Log into your Google Analytics account
- Go to “Configure”.
- Click on “Events”.
- Click on “Modify Event”.
- Click on “Create”.
- Give the name of the modification. We will use the existing “scroll” event and rename it for this practice. We chose the new name “Rename Default Scroll Event”.
- Under “Matching conditions” choose the parameter “event_name”.
- Choose the operator “equals”.
- Enter the name/value of the event you want to rename. Here we choose “scroll”.
- Under “Modify parameters” choose the parameter “event-name” and add the new value/name for it.
- Click on “Create”.
Now you have successfully changed the event name of an existing event, whether it is an event out of the box or a new custom event.
Do you want to learn more about Google Analytics 4?
Check out the following topics:
- GOOGLE ANALYTICS 4 – FAQ’S
- HOW TO CREATE AN ORGANIC SEARCH TRAFFIC REPORT IN GOOGLE ANALYTICS 4?
- PERFORM A GOOGLE ANALYTICS AUDIT